Tight leather, heavy metal, bloody riffs and bestial screaming… Flesh are heavy metal band from Zagreb formed in 2004 and are one of the bands to perform at this year’s Valhalla Festival at club Močvara.
In 2014 they released their eponymous debut album and the promotion was held also at Močvara. During the same year they won the band battle and were awarded with performance at Metaldays 2015. Their first video for the song Vermin Terror was shocking for many fans and was released in the early 2015. The band was pretty busy during the May of the same year. They’ve performed at the first edition of Valhalla Festival where the live video for Hammered Down was recorded. The second part of May was spent touring Sweden.
If you are a heavy metal fan Flesh are one of those bands that will satisfy you as they are proof that there is still heavy metal in our region and since there are only few days until Valhalla Festival I’ve talked with their guitarist Matej. Check below what he had to say!
Let’s start with your latest recording. You released your album in 2014, that’s four years ago. When you look back at it now what kind of feelings do you have for it?
– Pretty happy to be honest, since pretty much everything was DIY and on a tight budget. Of course, we would do things a bit differently if we had to do it all over again… But there is always second and hopefully third album hehe.
I am really interested in band names. What was it that made you settle on the one ”Flesh” and what does it mean to you?
– After a long brainstorming session, we settled on Flesh because it was short, and repeated in bunch of our lyrics, sounded heavy metal, so we thought why not.
What does it mean to you that there are people out there that actually appreciate what you are doing?
– It’s a cool feeling when you see random people in audience singing your songs, makes you feel a bit like a legit artist hehe.
How important is image to the band (for me it’s quite a lot haha)? What impression do you want the fans to get of the band?
– It is important indeed, but the music should come first IMHO. We just want people that come to our gigs to have fun and hopefully enjoy music. There is enough of negativity and bullshit in the world, so we try to keep things positive and fun.
When your were creating the artwork for the album what made you say ”Yeah, this is the one!”?
– As soon as we saw the major boobage on our female protagonist, we knew we were on a right track hehehe.
We live in a superficial world today where you don’t exist if you are not on Youtube and Facebook. Has social media been only beneficial in socializing with the fans or is there a down side to it too?
– There are few downsides, I guess… Sometimes it seems that people focus more on capturing things on their cellphones, than enjoying the moment… It is cool to get social media feedback, but its way cooler to have a drink with the fan, give him a guitar pick or something like that.
When you play in a band does it feel like you are a part of a massive community? That you belong to something that gives meaning to your life?
– Indeed it does… It’s a rad community, and we’re proud to play a small part in it.
When you are in the middle of it do you notice what state our beloved music scene is in? Is the scene healthy or does it suffer from some ailment?
– I think it’s pretty healthy… Things aren’t as fresh or popular as they were in the 80’s but there is still great metal music being made… And awesome festivals being held.
How much of a touring band are you guys? How hard is it to get gigs outside of your borders?
– It is pretty hard, since we all have full time jobs and families and no label support… Yet still, we managed to land mini tour in Sweden, slot on Metal days etc. thanks to few great friends and people that supported us! You really have to love this kind of music if you are involved in the community, because pretty much nobody is making money these days.
Last question… The future… Tell me something about your future.
– We just finished writing for our second album, and now we are focused on recording it properly. Then we’ll take it from there! 😊